iPod use?

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Nov 7 02:47:16 UTC 2004

>Is anyone using an iPod for recording voice samples? I have just started
>doing that. Now I want to be able to transfer audio files from hard disk
>or audio (cassette) tape to the iPod. I think I will be able to do this
>once the files are on a CD or a hard disk.
>
>There is a nifty iPod dock with speakers available for use in class.
>
>Bethany

To transfer audio files from your hard disk to your iPod as
iPod-playable, I believe all you have to do is open them in iTunes.
Once iTunes finds them, they can be exported to your iPod.

To transfer your cassette recordings (obligatory language lab plaint,
why would you want to?) to your iPod, there may be a way to do it
directly, but there are also two methods to get your cassettes (or
other analog audio) to your hard disk, depending on your computer.
Some computers have an audio-in jack (sometimes a microphone jack,
sometimes on a sound board). As long as your analog playback has at
least a headphone jack out, you can connect the two devices. There is
also something called an iMic, Griffin Technologies(?), which
connects to your computer via a USB port.

Mind you, I am not advocating this, but I know that people want
digital audio for reasons other than archival (e.g., playback in
class, or for ones* own entertainment).

Barbara

*I have spaced and in the midst of a move, so my reference books are
not handy. Should this be one's or ones?