"That's gotta hurt!" (1989)

Mon Nov 8 19:59:57 UTC 2004

> I agree, though, unfortunately, I can't come up with any kind
> of real date, either, despite the fact that it once had
> catchphrase status. You used to hear it on SNL, ca.1982. Joe
> Piscopo and Billy Crystal had a series of show-opening
> sketches in which they discussed various ways of inflicting
> pain on themselves. One would ask something like, "Have you
> ever used a hacksaw blade to slice the webs of your toes and
> then sprinkled Tabasco into the cuts?" At some point in the
> discussion, one of them would comment something like, "Whoa!
> That's gotta hurt!" But it seems to me that the phrase was
> already out there. Piscopo and Crystal merely incorporated it
> into their skits.
>
> -Wilson Gray

Willie and Frankie were played by Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest
(respectively), during the 1984-85 season of SNL.  A transcript of one of
their dialogues is here:
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/84/84ewillie.phtml

This is the only one of their sketches transcribed on the site, and "that's
gotta hurt" doesn't appear in it.  I remember their catch phrase as being
more along the lines of "I hate it when that happens".