Pauline Kael quote about Nixon

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 9 11:28:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Sam Clements wrote:

> I'm assuming Fred knows the StraightDope on this.
>
> A poster over at the Straight Dope Board tonight said that Pauline Kael was
> supposed to have said
>
> "I don't know how Nixon won. No one I know voted for him."

I don't have anything in my files on this, although I am familiar with it
and believe it to be authentic.  I'll see what I can come up with.

There is another and more interesting Nixon-era quote about whose source I
have no idea.  It was something to the effect that a few years after the
1972 election no one would admit to having voted for Nixon.  I predict
much the same phenomenon will now happen with regard to Bush.

Fred Shapiro