snuffy smith's home identified by regional dialect

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Nov 9 15:16:28 UTC 2004

On Nov 9, 2004, at 9:11 AM, James A. Landau wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: snuffy smith's home identified by regional dialect
> --------
>
> In a digest dated 11/9/04 12:03:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU quotes:
>
>> Nah, that was Li'l Abner.
>>
>>  At 04:00 PM 11/8/2004, you wrote:
>>>  http://joshreads.com/index.php?p=99
>>>
>>> Actually, I thought he lived in the Ozarks.
>
> If memory serves, Al Capp was careful NEVER to identify the location of
> Dogpatch.  Presumably he felt that Li'l Abner would have a more
> universal appeal if
> Dogpatch were never identified with one geographical area.  Note that
> Lockheed's secret aircraft development facility, which acquired the
> name "Skunk
> Works", was in Los Angeles, not an area usually identified with
> backwoods folks.
>
> One possible slip on Al Capp's part:  in the statue which regularly
> showed up
> in the strip, General Jubilation T. Cornpone is wearing a uniform
> that, if
> memory serves, was that of the Confederate Army.
>
> There was a "Senator Phogbound" who was a regular character in the
> Li'l Abner
> strip.  Was he the Senator from Dogpatch?  If so, Dogpatch was a state
> (but
> where was the other Senator?)
>
> Anyway, "us" Kentuckians liked to claim that Dogpatch was in Kentucky.
> went to Seneca High School in Louisville, Kentucky, and the school's
> logo was a
> drawing of Lonesome Polecat from the Li'l Abner strip that Mr. Capp
> gave
> permission to use (and I do not doubt personally drew).  The school's
> athletic teams
> were the "Redskins".  Ah, those pre-Politically Correct days, when a
> goofy
> drawing of what was not yet called a "Native American" could be
> prominently
> posted on the outside wall of the school.
>
> In case anyone is interested, the name "Seneca" comes not from the
> Roman
> philosopher but from nearby Seneca Park, one of a number of municipal
> parks
> designed by Frederic Law Olmstead and named after Indian tribes.
> Olmstead, as well
> as being a landscape architect, was a journalist who before the Civil
> War
> wrote a well-known book about the South (with much discussion of
> slavery), so our
> Politically Incorrect school name had a very tenuous connection with
> Emancipation and therefore with the civil rights and PC movements.
>
> A related Al Capp-ism "Skunk Works", where Lonesome Polecat and a
> Caucasian
> [...]

The white guy's name was/is? (I've been under the impression that the
strip died with Al Capp, but that's merely an assumption on my part; I
don't know f' sho') "Big Barnsmell." I agree that the general wore
Confederate grey. But isn't the term "skonk works" way, way, way older
than 1974? Or does the date refer to the term "*Skunk* Works"? Do you
remember Bashington T. Bullmoose? "What's good for General Bullmoose is
good for the U.S.A." Wolfbane? The Wolf Girl? What was the name of the
guy who always wore a zoot suit with the drape shape and the reet pleat
and had the power of the whammy?

And Olmsted was really quite a good writer as well as the king of
American landscape architecture.

-Wilson Gray