Al Capp

Tue Nov 9 21:08:07 UTC 2004

Mammy did have a "Good Night Irene" punch, I don't know how effective it was
against Evil Eye.

All these questions and more are answered at
http://www.dogpatchusa.com/

1st OED cite for Whammy is 1940, from a book J. R. TUNIS Kid from
Tomkinsville.  2nd cite is 1951, from Lil Abner. "An evil influence or
 hex . From the 1950s, often with reference to the comic strip Li'l Abner
(see quot. 1951), esp. in phr. a double whammy and varr. Hence, an intense
or powerful look, etc.; something effective, upsetting, problematic, etc. "

Fantasy artist Frank Frazetta did Sunday strip artwork throughout the 1950s
on Lil Abner.  These have been collected into three books: Al Capp's Li'l