"On the ground" redux

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Nov 10 17:15:18 UTC 2004

Awhile ago there was a discussion of the figurative use of "on the ground."
For any of you who missed it, there was a great example this morning on
NPR.  In a report on a new agreement over the Darfur region of Sudan, the
news reader (female, I forget who), said, "The no-fly zone will be a
significant element on the ground."  This ALMOST works literally, but with
the word "element," it seems to me, not quite.

Peter Mc.