Than

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Nov 11 16:02:34 UTC 2004

This is a near perfect example of the prescriptivist fallacy, that rules
govern language rather than describe it. A sentence is not grammatical
because it comports to a set of rules set down in a manual or logically
derived from other rules (as opposed to derived directly from examples).
Rather a sentence is grammatical because it comports with the way that
people use the language.

You would never hear someone use this construction and it takes a native
English speaker a minute or two to parse it and determine what the intended
meaning is. It is a most unnatural construction. A real English speaker
would say "She is the one who I am better than." Or better, albeit with a
slight change in emphasis, "I'm better than her."

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net