IE root of Skt. "udaya"?

Thomas Paikeday thomaspaikeday at SPRINT.CA
Sat Nov 13 16:28:53 UTC 2004

Could some Indo-Europeanist or Sanskrit scholar among us tell me what is the
IE root of the Sanskrit word "udaya" (a going up; rising, as in
Monier-Williams Dictionary). The shortened "Uday" is a common given name
among Indians (cf. Uday Shankar) and maybe even other area languages, as in
"Uday," the late Saddam's son.

I would also like to know if there are cognates in English. The IE root must
be in AHD4's Appendix. My problem is locating it!

Trying to help an Uday from Poone, India.

Thanks.

TOM PAIKEDAY