Redundancy--(in defense of "South Yugoslavia")

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Nov 13 21:34:01 UTC 2004

Wison,

Of course you're right; since 'pen' and 'pin' are homophones in much
of the country (pert nigh all of the red states), ink pen (pronounced
[pIn] is not redundant. It keeps is straight from 'straight pin,'
also commonly said. It also wouldn't be redundant, by the way, even
in [E] pronouncing areas if redundant is strictly interpreted
(although the pragmatic separation from pig pen etc... is apparently
sufficient keep some of those who write to this list from shuddering.

I jest love it when y'all shudder at the normal practices of human
language in some speech community other than your own. Lets us
sociolinguistic know we've got work for a long, long time.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor