"di?nt" (with glottal stop)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Nov 16 20:00:17 UTC 2004

First language English acquisition people always cite "uh oh" as an early
utterance of babies, and they note that early words with final stops often
substitute the glottal stop instead.  I have no reason to think it would be
any different with little black children, unless someone can cite evidence
to the contrary.  (Roger Brown's landmark _A First Language_ (1973) notes
this in the productions of his three case studies, Adam, Eve, and Sarah;
Adam was black.)