Hartered

Wed Nov 17 14:40:11 UTC 2004

In the minutes of a club I belong to, but whose business meetings I do not
attend, I read that a motion had been "moved, seconded, and Hartered",
evidently abbreviated in later parts of the minutes as "MSH". I wrote to the
clerk to ask what this meant, and here is his reply:

>From (Section 3.2(2) of NESFA's Standing Rules):  Any motion made and passed
with only non-substantive objections shall be denoted as: Moved, Seconded,
and Hartered. [8/71, memorializing Mr. Harter's practice of voting against
virtually all motions; cf. Section A.15(2).]
  <<<<<

Obviously an in-joke, so it won't belong in the dictionaries, but I thought
my fellow word freaks here would enjoy it.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]