Not in DARE/HDAS?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Nov 21 08:01:57 UTC 2004

Hold tight :  wait a second/minute et sim.  "Hold tight. I'll get you
some."

DARE has "Hold... To examine, to look at. 'Let me hold your program.' -
Rare." This usage is quite common in BE.

DARE has "Let me hold it." It's not clear to me what DARE means by
"hold it," since the example appears in a section having to do with
"hold" in both of the meanings, "to borrow; to lend." I'm not familiar
with "hold" meaning "lend" (this is merely an observation; I'm making
no claim). On the other hand, if "hold" in the cite means "lend," then
I'm very familiar with that meaning. One person might say to another,
"Let me hold twenty dollars till payday." I've both heard suchlike and
said it a million times.

-Wilson Gray