dialectal "from the home" /of the home

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Nov 21 22:14:55 UTC 2004

On Nov 21, 2004, at 1:54 PM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: dialectal "from the home" /of the home
> --------
>
> I should have said, like Wilson, that this was a phrase common in our
> grandparents' day; I'm not sure our parents' generation could have
> gotten
> away with home preparations (or could they?).  I'd add that city or
> county
> police (or sheriffs) always escort funeral processions "up home" in
> Minnesota, and I presume everywhere else.  A procession might travel 50
> miles or more in a rural area, and police must clear the way and
> maintain
> reasonable speed.

Yes. My grandfather was buried in Longview and not in Marshall.

>   But using the State Police is new to me

It could have been the fact that Marshall and Longview are in separate
counties that motivated the use of the state police as opposed to the
local law. Also, I'm not even sure that Marshall had any regular peace
officers. I remember only the "uptown" parking-control guy who rode
about on a Harley-Davidson three-wheeler. (Any bikers out there can
supply the actual name of this thing.) There was some way of getting
people behind bars, since my granddad's nephew, an alcoholic, spent a
lot of time there. But that's all that I know. Marshall was/is? one of
those places where the signs told you when nobody was home: "Railway
Express man, key is under doormat. Money is in envelope on kitchen
table."

-Wilson Gray