dialectal "from the home" /of the home

Mon Nov 22 19:03:36 UTC 2004

> >  I'd add that  city or county police (or sheriffs) always escort funeral

> > processions "up home" in Minnesota, and I presume everywhere else.

Huntsville, AL is a city with one foot in the 21st century, and one in the
19th.
About once a year, someone proposes that the city can save money be stopping
the
practice of police escorts from the funeral home to the graveyard.  Everyone
agrees
that this would save money, but the proposal always gets voted down because
it just
doesn't seem right.

I think some of the larger cities in AL have dropped the practice, though.