dialectal "from the home" /of the home

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Tue Nov 23 00:23:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Wilson Gray quoted me:

then wrote:

>In the _early_ '50's? That's surprising! Were the funerals in a dry
>county or a wet one? Marshall's both the county seat of a _dry_ county
>_and_ the home of the East Texas Babdis (i.e. Baptist) University,
>Hence, it's a more Christian location than some other towns and most
>cities in Texas, not to mention that my grandfather was himself a
>minister. Given the generally high level of holiness in the region and
>on this occasion, perhaps the Lord God of Hosts Himself spake unto some
>desk sergeant at the local state-police barracks.;-)

I have no idea whether the county was wet/dry!  But one of the burials was
of my maternal gf, a local Primitive Baptist preacher - I don't think the
degree/brand of Christianity made any difference.

If you know central TX, think Gonzales/Waelder = Gonzales County.

Bethany