"Faked into the popcorn machine" (1966)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 23 03:11:36 UTC 2004

FAKED INTO THE POPCORN MACHINE--23 Google hits, 11 Google Groups hits

ProQuest's Los Angeles Times is now at March 1967! It's advanced three
months just now! We'd been waiting months for movement--and now we've got three
more digitized months!

Still no "slam dunk," but I found the following to be worth  recording.

_Hearn:  a Snap, a Crackle and a Popcorn Machine_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=000000496069442&SrchMode=1&sid=25&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&
RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1101178652&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles  Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 18, 1966. p.
B1 (1  page):
He (Chic Hearn--ed.) is most famous for having players "faked into the
popcorn machine," but Hearn's invention does not stop there. He's never more  than
a syllable behind the action. The "dribble-drive," "give-and-go" are
Hearn-ese, not basketball-ese. Any game needs imaginative synonyms for standard
plays--"red dog" for a three-man rush, "hummer" for fastball, and "she's going,
going, GONE!" for a dramatic home run instead of just simply "and Snyder hits a
home run."

(Again, sorry for no "slam dunk"--ed.)