See you in the funny papers!

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Nov 24 03:51:22 UTC 2004

This is an update to a 2002 thread.  At that time, some newspapers were not
digitized as yet.

Doug Wilson offered that HDAS showed from 1926:

<<Lighter's HDAS shows (vol I, p. 848, under "funny paper"): <<1926 Maines &
Grant, _Wise-Crack Dict._ 14: _See you in the funny sheet_-- A humorous way
of saying good-bye.>>

The digitized Chicago Tribune has a cite from WGN(Chicago radio) in 1928,
advertising a 12-1  Sunday show where "Uncle Quin" would read the "funny
papers" to the kids listening along at home.   This show shows up from 1927
in the Tribune.  But the first "see you in the funny papers" is 1928, as
spoken by Uncle Quin in a adv. for his show.  'Course Uncle Quin didn't mean
he was leaving.  He was actually reading the funnies to the kids in
radioland.  (Perhaps he signed off with something like "see you in the funny
papers.")

Had to do this one for my deceased great aunt.  She always used to say that
to me when I was leaving.

Sam Clements