There is/there are

Wed Nov 24 15:41:55 UTC 2004

I have received the following question from a student here who is foolishly trusting to my expert knowledge of such matters:
"I am doing a small research project on the history of existential 'there' constructions with plural subjects (i.e., There's three books on the table as opposed to There are three books).  I've looked on Bobcat, several databases available through the Libarary Website and I have found a lot of information on 'there' existential constructions, but not pertaining to the plural subjects, which is what I need."

I haven't gotten back to him to enquire as to which databases he has used, but am otherwise at a loss.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I will advise him that he would do well to enroll in ADS-L.

GAT

George A. Thompson

"We have seen the best of our time.  Machinations, hollowness, treachery, and all ruinous disorders follow us disquietly to our graves."  King Lear, Act 1, scene 2 (Gloucester speaking).