Virgin Mary image in Grilled Cheese Sandwich (now less OT)

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Nov 28 01:32:17 UTC 2004

>Barbara Need wrote:
><<his mother used a waffle iron with plates installed over or
>instead of the waffle plates>>
>Exactly.
>We called it a grilled cheese sandwich in the Wash., D.C. suburbs in
>the 1950s, and my mother taught us to make them in a waffle iron
>with the plates reversed to the pancake griddle side.  We buttered
>the outsides and filled it with cheddar cheese, mustard, and maybe
>sliced ham.

Did you close the waffle iron? Or did you use the griddle side as a
griddle and flip the sandwich.

>  This bound me conceptually, so that I still make the sandwich
>before putting it in the frying pan, rather than using the elegant
>method of building the sandwich as it cooks.

I always make the sandwich before I cook it--I use a griddle or a
frying pan and flip the sandwich.

Barbara