mark by hand (was: the curious phonology of Wisconsin)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Nov 28 02:09:26 UTC 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 12:07 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: mark by hand (was:  the curious phonology of
> Wisconsin)
> --------
>
>> Fritz,
>
> You obviously don't live where your namesake beer is sold; there your
> name would be familiar to every beer-belly in town.
>
> Of course familiarity does not always breed accuracy; when I was in
> Madison WI in the 12th Cent. there was a cheap beer (popular among
> the little moneyed) named Feuerbach pronounced 'fireback,' but the
> best local pronunciation of all the midwestern US German heritage
> beers was Griesedieck as 'greasydick.'
>
> dInIs

In addition to Griesedieck Brothers Beer, the Griesedieck Bros.
Brewery, a St. Louis-based company, also brewed Falstaff Beer, the
biggest-selling brand of beer in St. Louis through the 'Sixties, at
least, much to the chagrin of Anheuser-Busch, the biggest-selling beer
in the world, except not in its own hometown.

-Wilson Gray