"English was good enough for Jesus" (1905, 1912 for "St. Paul")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 28 02:38:53 UTC 2004

One more:  Can I impose upon anyone to search ProQuest Historical Newspapers to see what is the earliest appearance there of "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for us" or variants thereof?  Sam Clements searched this on Newspaperarchive, but I don't think anyone posted any ProQuest results for it.

Fred Shapiro

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
LANGUAGE OF ST. PAUL.
Youth's Companion. Puck (1877-1918). New York: Sep 11, 1912. Vol. 72, Iss. 1854; p. 0_10 (1 page):
Among the Wesleyans of a century ago there was a well-known and eccentric preacher named David Mackenzie. When reading the third chapter of Daniel he invariably abbreviated the instruments of the Babylonian musicians, and when the names of the instruments were repeated in verses 10 and 15 he would say, "The band as before."

He was a lay preacher of the old order, and was admitted without having read the prescribed "Wesley's Sermons," and the rest. He boasted of his lack of "book learning," and scornfully told a student of the new school, who was learning Latin, that "English was good enough for St. Paul; ain't it good enough for you?"--_Youth's Companion_.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
OLDEST DINING CLUB IN THE WORLD; The State in Schwylkill, Founded in 1732, Still Holds Its Annual Dinner in Its Castle Near Philadelphia -- All Cooking Is Done by Members, and Each Must Take His Turn at It.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 15, 1905. p. SMA8 (1 page):
PROF. ADOLPHE COHN of Columbia University recently, in discussing the teaching of French and German in public schools, said that the attitude of a good many people on that subject was explained to him very aptly by a remark he had once overheard in a street car. Two elderly Irish women were talking about their children, when one remarked: "I won't let my child be taught Frinch."

"Why not?" inquired the other.

"Sure," replied the first, "if English was good enough for St. Paul to write the Bible in it's good enough for me."