Wake me up when Kirby dies; Broker than the Ten Commandments

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 28 09:29:26 UTC 2004

BROKER THAN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

BROKER THAN THE TEM COMMANDMENTS--47 Google hits, 13 Google Groups  hits

     1.
_Straight  From the Trumpet's Mouth; SATCHMO: My Life in New Orleans. By
Louis  Armstrong. Illustrated. 240 pp. New York: Prentice-Hall. $3.50. Trumpet's
Mouth _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=000000096625537&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1101632281&clientId=658
82)
By CLEVELAND AMORY. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct
10, 1954. p. BR7 (2 pages)
First page: Some of these, Louis tells us, hit the big time with  "Roast
Beef" (tuxedo) and "frebies" (free meals), others are nothing but  "poor boy"
sandwiches and were "broker than the Ten  Commandments;...

2.
_Louis  Armstrong, Jazz Trumpeter and Singer, Dies; Louis Armstrong, the Jazz
 Trumpeter and Singer, Dies in His Home at 71 _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=000000079675134&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT
=309&VName=HNP&TS=1101632281&clientId=65882)
By  ALBIN KREBS. New York Times (1857-Current  file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 7,
1971. p. 1 (2 pages)
Pg. 41: "I was foolin' around with some tough ones," Mr.. Armstrong  recalled
in 1969. "Get paid a little money, and a beeline for on of them  gambling
houses. Two hours, man, and I was a broke cat, broker than the  Ten Commandments."

     _Bucks County Courier Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=++xTpPwvmwuKID/6NLMW2twgUcwPTeHajH0yrdQ41FgSWqZgLX4bFkIF+CsZYmrz)
Saturday, July 13, 1968 _Levittown,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:levittown+than+the+ten+commandments)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+than+the+ten+commandm
ents)      ...remember when he was broker  THAN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Heart
transplants  were.....LBJ may have been less a gag target THAN usual. had an
awful lot of somebody..
    _Times Recorder _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2odsq4h7NXO1gMV6rU/Tvw/+HTeu2vtXIkIF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, July 14,
1968 _Zanesville,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:zanesville+than+the+ten+commandments)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+than+the+ten+commandments)      ...remember when
he was broker  THAN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS Heart transplants  were.....In show
on CBS TV brought in some more THAN slightly  suggestive material..
     _Bucks County Courier Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=++xTpPwvmwuKID/6NLMW2uZ3shyR7xZusIaZXnzEax/a6TNpIf3zKEIF+CsZYmrz)
Friday, August 09, 1974 _Levittown,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:levittown+than+the+ten+commandments)  _Pennsylvania_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:pennsylvania+than+the+ten+commandm
ents)      ...one to Flip Wil- I was  broker THAN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.' a
mighty  good of what.....pursuit of power is more important THAN civil  rights
and THE welfare of a..

     _Frederick Post _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2lqTdsfpwucUpNKKEzyeIskdbXukfoTed0IF+CsZYmrz)  Wednesday,
January 22, 1997 _Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+than+the+ten+commandments)  _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+than+the+ten+commandments)
...or how THEy're 4  broker THAN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS.' biie-GMC  dealer Sam
C.....eating briers" or how THEy're -broker THAN  THE TEN CommandmentFor Po.veil.
39..
_News _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2tJ8kySV6UN3s07qcrLHUToFSiiXnTayT0IF+CsZYmrz)  Wednesday, January 22, 1997
_Frederick,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+than+the+ten+commandments)  _Maryland_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+than+the+ten+commandments)      ...or how THEy're
"broker THAN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS." For  Powell. 39. a.....eating briers' or
how THEy're 'broker THAN  THE TEN whole mess" of friends and..

WAKE ME UP WHEN KIRBY DIES

WAKE ME UP WHEN KIRBY DIES--5 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE)

_Gold  Rush Women_ (http://www.sierrafoothillmagazine.com/women.html)
... purposes, was an English actor  so noted for his dramatic death throes
that a phrase
coined by bored  theatre-goers, “Wake me up when Kirby dies,”  became ...
www.sierrafoothillmagazine.com/women.html - 17k - _Cached_
(http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:RRzT4eS4nlkJ:www.sierrafoothillmagazine.com/women.html+"wak
e+me+up+when+kirby"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.sierrafoothillmagazine.com/wo
men.html)
_San Francisco  History - Strolling on Sunday Afternoons_
(http://www.zpub.com/sf50/sf/hgsto13.htm)
...  Such stories of stage life he could tell! Such color of the old Bowery
Theater!
How he would dilate on the old slogan, “Wake me  up when Kirby dies”! ...
www.zpub.com/sf50/sf/hgsto13.htm - 12k - _Cached_
(http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:z5hykI2xoP8J:www.zpub.com/sf50/sf/hgsto13.htm+"wake+me+up+when+kirby
"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.zpub.com/sf50/sf/hgsto13.htm)
_WHMC-Columbia-- W Word List: Tamony, Peter (1902-1985), Collection  ..._
(http://www.umsystem.edu/whmc/invent/3939W.html)
... Waiting List Wait Out Waitress  Wait-See Wait Tell Next Year Wait Up
Waive Waiver
Waiver Rule Waivers Wak  Waka Wake Wakeathon Wake Me Up When Kirby  Dies Wake
Up ...
www.umsystem.edu/whmc/invent/3939W.html - 33k - _Cached_
(http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:68s-jb_exEkJ:www.umsystem.edu/whmc/invent/3939W.html+"wake+me
+up+when+kirby"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.umsystem.edu/whmc/invent/3939W.ht
ml)
_[CTRL] [3] The Ohio Gang_
(http://www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg15487.html)
...  was a Civil War veteran who always bedded down in a pile of old
newspapers  and,
by way of bidding good-night, would say, "Wake me  up when Kirby dies"—
whoever ...
www.mail-archive.com/ctrl at listserv. aol.com/msg15487.html - 24k -
Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:iYCA04DCniYJ:www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg15487.html+"wake+me+up+when+kirby"&hl=e
n&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=related:www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg15487.html)

_Article  1 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=000000324266932&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11016
28569&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Dec 12, 1898. p.
6 (1 page)
The San Francisco papers, in speaking of the death of the pioneer actress,
Sarah Stark Thorne, mentions James Stark as her first husband, which is quite
incorrect. The lady was three times married, her first husband being the
famous  Bowery actor of fifty years ago, Hudson Kirby. Out of his name grew the
popular  newsboys' shibboleth of "Wake me up when Kirby dies."

_THREE  OLD-TIME THEATRES._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=000000101218470&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=11
01628957&clientId=65882)
THOMAS W. PITTMAN.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun
22,  1902. p. 7 (1 page)
Kirby, one of the then leading tragedians, frequently played there in
National anf patriotic plays, and during his engagements it was the common  saying
of the town, "Wrap me in an American flag and wake me up when Kirby  dies," as
he was regarded as great in his heroic and prolonged death  scenes.

       4. _In  the Days of "Dese, Dem, an' Dose"; Mr. Harlow Writes a
Fascinating  Full-Throated Chronicle of the Old Bowery. The Bowery _ (http://
proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=000000118215627&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&
VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1101628957&clientId=65882)
By HOLLISTER NOBLE. New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul
26, 1931. p. BR3 (2 pages)

First page: Judsob Kirby appeared in "Six Degrees of Crime" and grew so
famous for his death scenes that a request of the tired business man of the
period to "Wake Me Up When Kirby Dies" became a bon mot for  years.