Wolof hip

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 29 17:35:21 UTC 2004

The late appearance of "uh-huh," etc., in print may partly reflect the superprescriptionist idea that they "aren't words"; second,  their spelling, until regularized, would be problematical. It may be that many potentially earlier cites are disguised in phrases such as, "He answered with a grunt."

Dalby may be right, of course, but white people can be quite inarticulate. The native grunt-and-groan elements of English may always have been sufficient.  What about "um-hmm"?

I see no way of resolving this question on the basis of current knowledge.

JL
Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Robertson

Subject: Re: Wolof hip

The presence of glottal stops in ("uh-huh" and) "u[n]h-uh" seems like poor
evidence for borrowing. Two reasons come right to mind: First, English has
glottal stops elsewhere, especially at the beginning of a syllable--Think of
an emphatically uttered "I *am* *American*." And the farther you get from
the literary standard, the more glottal stops you'll hear in US English.
Second, English interjections and allegro forms make use of other sounds
uncommon in or missing from our phonemic inventory, such as nasal vowels.
Some of the other Wolof evidence presented is fairly compelling, but "uh-uh"
is harder to make a case for.

--Dave Robertson (UVic)