Fwd: Colonial English

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Nov 30 21:31:23 UTC 2004

Ives Goddard has agreed to send me a comment on the Algonquian book review,
and in return he asks for help on the following query.  I told him I'd pass
the request on to you all, and you can contact him directly.

>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:24:41 -0500
>From: "Ives Goddard" <Goddard.Ives at NMNH.SI.EDU>
>To: <flanigan at ohiou.edu>
>Subject: Colonial English
>0, __CT_TEXT_PLAIN 0, __HAS_MSGID 0, __HAS_X_MAILER 0, __MIME_VERSION 0,
>__SANE_MSGID 0'
>
>May I ask a favor in return?
>I am trying to find someone who is familiar with Colonial American English,
>the vernacular usage of letters, etc., specifically of Mass. in the 17th
>century, and might be interested in looking at a purported letter of 1699
>(cited in the OED) to see if the language looks right.
>   Any ideas?  Do you know anyone connected with DARE that might know or be
>such a person?
>   Any aid appreciated.
>   --Ives Goddard
Senior Linguist, Department of Anthropology
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
NHB 85-M, MRC 100
Washington, DC 20013-7012