query

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Oct 2 05:56:40 UTC 2004

>Any idea when (how?) the word "rack" came to be slang for the female bosom?

I can't find much information on this one. DARE gives some dated citations,
the earliest 1968.

Some sources suggest rhyming slang: "rack of meat" = "teat". I don't think
this goes very well with the late date of 1968. Also, although I recognize
"rack of lamb" etc., I don't recognize "rack of meat" as a conventional
enough collocation to make a good basis for the rhyme. Also, in my
experience (perhaps atypical) the "rack" refers to the pair of breasts, not
to each individual breast. Maybe I'm missing something; maybe somebody can
fill me in.

I have a casual speculation, in case the above notion is found to be devoid
of substance. The usual context for "rack" = "bosom" is something like "She
has quite a rack" or "Nice rack on her", right? Isn't this reminiscent of
deer hunters' talk? "That buck has quite a rack", "Nice rack on that one".
In either case "rack" = "pair" (of breasts or antlers). [In either case the
well-developed rack is characteristic of a desirable trophy (to those so
inclined), but now perhaps I am abusing the metaphor.]

-- Doug Wilson