"Slipperspoon"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Oct 3 01:58:27 UTC 2004

>Is "slipperspoon," the local term meaning "shoehorn," used outside of
>black East Texas? If a slipperspoon wasn't to hand, we would use an
>actual tablespoon, instead.
>
>-Wilson Gray
I can remember being told of this term by my father.  I'm not sure if he
was just citing it as an interesting example (he was an Eng prof & found
lang & usage endlessly  fascinating) or saying that it had been his own
family's expression  (Ohio, 1880s on).  We said "shoehorn," had several and
used them.
 I now make do with a piece cut from a qt-sized yogurt carton, when I need one.
 A. Murie