nice language datum from the Times Magazine

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 3 04:05:45 UTC 2004

No, not the "On language" column, but the acrostic on today's (that
is, tomorrow's) puzzle page.  I'll allow some spoiler space in case
anyone wants to do the acrostic and doesn't want to know the answer
to clue P,
"1924 contest-winning coinage for a Volstead Act violator; today, one
who treats any ordinance with contempt"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yes, "scofflaw".  But what's surprising to me is that this does
indeed seem to represent the facts, as far as I can tell from the OED
and other sources.  In fact "scofflaw" was apparently proposed
independently by two contestants, who then got to split the $200
prize money upon the announcement (1/15/1924), and it's been in the
lexicon ever since.  Now of course one wonders if there are any
antedates from before 1924, presumably for violators of other
ordinances.   The other question is whether there are other words
with similar creation histories.

larry