"presidential"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Oct 3 21:43:29 UTC 2004

I'm trying to find out when "presidential" was first used in the
sense "having a manner or demeanor befitting a president." The
earliest cite I've found is from an article in the WSJ, June 2, 2976,
which says "It would give Mr. Ford a chance to look "presidential,"
which could help him win over uncommitted delegates..."

An article in the NY Times, July 18, 1976,  quotes Jimmy Carter's
media wallah, Gerald  Rafshoon, "We want to look Presidential but not
too Presidential."  And a line in James ReEston's column shortly
after that reads: [Some of Carter's advisors] argue that he is in
trouble at least partly because he is not dominating the news, not
taking command, not sounding 'Presidential'..."

This isn't easy to s earch for, given the frequent uses of
"presidential" in other senses, but I wonder if anyone can point me
to a prior use, particularly one from an earlier election cycle.

Geoff Nunberg