"Strew, strewed, strewn"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Oct 4 15:39:52 UTC 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 11:05 AM, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Strew, strewed, strewn"
> --------
>
> Nice!  This reminds me of "shine, shone, shone," where "shone" is
> pronounced by me as [Son] but by many others as [SOn], or maybe [San]

Welcome to St. Louis, Bev! Actually, there's a dialect split. Some
people in St. Louis say [Son] and others say [SOn/San]. Still others
drop back five yards and punt by using "shined." But, to me, that's way
weirder than [SOn/San], unless it's being used transitively, as in
"shined his shoes."

-Wilson