GEICO ad

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Oct 5 01:35:07 UTC 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 5:52 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: GEICO ad
> --------
>
> HDAS has a number of cites for "dap," n. & v., referring to similar
> gestures from the Vietnam War period.The definition there is prob.
> inadequate, since none of my sources were able to produce the thousand
> words that might equal the GEICO nature footage Wilson refers to.
>
>  1966 is earlier than any printed source I have.
>
> "BAPPING & dapping" is new to me.  A fellow student once demonstrated
> an elaborate "trick handshake" to me in the early '70s, but I believe
> he called it a "jive handshake" used by jazz musicians (regrettably, I
> didn't make a note at the time).
>
> Which reminds me, I first heard "high-five" during the baseball season
> of 1982 or '83.  (In merry days of yore, players congratulated a
> home-run hitter with a hearty handshake instead. How the world doth
> wag!)
>
>  Anything earlier?
>
> JL

  Unfortunately, I can't say for certain. I'm willing to get down when I
have a clear memory, but, in this case, "maybe" is the best that I can
do. FWIW, I remember "Five on the up high. Now, five on the down low.
Now, five on the black(hand) side," from the middle '70's.

On the other hand, what I tend to regard as the original form, "Give me
some skin, friend!" my mother heard and used when she was in college in
the late '20's and early '30's, if that's of any interest. She also
knows "okey-dokey" from those days.

-Wilson Gray