A mysterious email

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Tue Oct 5 21:33:05 UTC 2004

Well,
Presuming this is legit, the confusion is pretty typical of non-native
speakers. I was an ESL/EFL teacher (in both the US and England) for 12
years, and the present perfect was always the hardest thing to explain. I
think their tone is more typical of frustrated people who don't quite have
the fluency they wish they did; there's nothing really conspiratorial there.
Their fundamental mistake is to equate a very specific past-time adverbial
like "yesterday," which locates an event at a specific point in time, with
a more general past-time adverbial, like the phrase "in/over the past few
years," which continues the action into the present. Their example
sentence, "He has worked there in the past few years," might be produced by
a native speaker who wasn't being all that careful, but a more grammatical
statement for pedagogical purposes would be "He has worked there
occasionally over the past few years."
There is a very helpful discussion of the sticky nature of the simple past
versus the present perfect, and its particular problem for ESL/EFL
students, in Celce-Murcia/Larsen-Freeman's book, The Grammar Book: An
ESL/EFL Teacher's Course (Heinle & Heinle, 1999).
If you like, you can send me the full message, and I'll respond if it looks
like it would help.
Wendalyn Nichols