"Good old days"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 6 23:11:45 UTC 2004

I doubted that the concept of "the good old days" suddenly appeared in the first decade of the eighteenth century, so I did an extensive search of Early English Books Online to see if any similar phrase had been in use earlier.

I searched for "old days," "days of yore," "olden days,"  "days of old,"  "time(s) of yore," "olden  time(s)," "ttimes of old," utilizing every alternative spelling I could think of, notably "tyme(s)," "daies" and "dayes." Naturally, I expected to find some equivalent phrase, "merry days of yore," perhaps.

No luck.

Although a few exx. of "old days" (~"daies," "dayes") do refer to the past (rarely with any adjective whatsoever) the usual sense of the phrase in books published before 1700 was (one's) "old age."

Even if inconclusive, the result is striking. Not even Robert Burton's "Anatomy of Melancholy" turned up.

Why the apparent development of nostalgia around 1700?  Or is the problem with EEBO?

There's at least one dissertation here for somebody.  Takers?

(Another finding:  OED has "days of yore" from 1705 (Pope); but another writer has "daies of yore" in 1648. (Was too lazy to jot down who[m].)  Since this has become by far the most frequent collocation, the citation should go into OED3.)

JL

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
"Would the Country-Gentlemen, as in the good old Days, make their diligent neighbouring Tradesmen their Cashiers, their Ambition and Industry would increase with their Power."

    Anon., _A Short View of the Apparent Dangers and Mischiefs from the Bank of England._    (London, 1707), p.13.