"No Respect" from Godfather?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 7 14:24:47 UTC 2004

At 9:01 PM -0400 10/6/04, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>NO RESPECT
>
>In the late 1960s, I saw my first live television show--the Ed Sullivan show.
>The guest was Rodney Dangerfield. My mother had told me about his "no
>respect" theme. I'm sure Rodney used "no respect" on the Ed Sullivan
>show that I saw,
>and probably several times before Sullivan's show went off the air in 1971.

I was wondering if an alternate source of inspiration for Rodney
Dangerfield's line, since The Godfather (at least the movie version)
was clearly too late, was the popularity of the Aretha Franklin song
R-E-S-P-E-C-T, very often heard in the late 1960s.  (Her own
recording was, I believe, 1967, although Otis Redding had covered it
earlier.)

Larry