Michael Quinion's new book on word origins

Sun Oct 10 08:43:59 UTC 2004

> I'm happy to see that Michael has compiled various items from his World
> Wide Words website into a hardcopy treatment. And I'm particularly
> pleased to see the well-deserved credit he gives to Barry Popik.

You modestly don't mention the credit to yourself. Others on this
list are gratefully acknowledged as well. More generally, since I am
a rather isolated freelance writer, discussions on ADS-L have been
valuable in keeping me focused as well as providing much-needed
information on specific terms.

One point: the book isn't just a rehash of stuff from the Web site -
there's a lot of new material in it. Exactly how much I'm not sure
offhand, but certainly more than half.

> Of course, etymology being what it is, there will no doubt be a few
> bones to pick and a few additional comments to add to individual
> items. That's for another day. Meanwhile, I look forward to reading the
> book in more detail and to following his continuing work in World Wide
> Words.

I look forward to comments. There's the paperback to come yet ...

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words