Urban - a code word?

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Oct 10 12:06:31 UTC 2004

> Does anyone know if "urban" is indeed such a code word?  If so, is the
> usage
> restricted to theater?
>  - James A. Landau

How about these examples?

yeah its an ibm commerical seen it here too. oh yeah i like the Playa
commerical i wish he wouldve tried to act more urban/ghetto/black or
whatever, thought he was Playa cuz he gots an uberthin lappy,mabe he is
a balla or a wannabee
http://techcomedy.com/users/submitted_content.php?nick=Zoomer

If you've ever heard me try to be urban, you know that me uttering the
words, "Keepin' it real" is just not right.
http://www.decussation.net/archives/thursday/2004/07/assorted.html

Keeping it Real? Is it possible to be more condescending to black youths
than to try to be "urban" and "fly" with the lingo?
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1019640/posts

He chilled at my crib (note the attempt to sound urban and/or ghetto,
feeble to say the least) and we watched the first 20 minutes of Return
of the Jedi before ...
www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=4570032

Paul
Paul Frank