french fries on the stove

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Tue Oct 12 12:52:59 UTC 2004

This morning I did a radio interview with an AM station in New London, CT,
and the radio host used an idiom that I've never heard before. I'm not
even sure what he meant, but he said you've got to put (or get?) "your
french fries on [or off?] the stove before your momma gets home".

Contextually, I think he meant it to mean "have everything in order" but
I'm not even sure of that, because I wasn't sure if he said "on" or "off".

I was so struck by this that I wrote it down while talking to him -- has
anyone ever heard of this expression before, and if so, what does it mean?

-- Steve Kl.