"shambo" (was " Charlie")

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Oct 13 04:51:06 UTC 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 4:44 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "shambo" (was " Charlie")
> --------
>
> At 1:45 PM -0400 10/12/04, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>> "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> says:
>>

>>  [Gerald Leonard Cohen:]
>>>   Just a guess: ["shambo"]

FWIW, "-ambo" is a common Japanese string, as in "kurambo" and
"roshambo" and "sh" is one of the Fifty Sounds or whatever that thing
is called. My career as a student of Japanese began - and ended -
around 1967, whatever year it was in which The Beatles released "Blue
Jay Way." As fate would have it, one of my classmates lived on that
street.

-Wilson Gray