"Cooper" redux

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Oct 13 18:00:39 UTC 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 9:05 AM, Sally Donlon wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sally Donlon <sod at LOUISIANA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Cooper" redux
> --------
>
> I'm coming late to this thread, but if you're talking about
> Archie Manning's third son, he isn't a white Mississippian;
> he's a white New Orleanian, born and raised Uptown.
>
> A small point, but one worth making before we get too far
> along in the generalizations. It has been my experience
> that, except for those who share the Big River accent,
> dialect is usually quite different between New Orleanians
> and Mississippians.
>
> sally donlon

WRT to these two dialects, your experience is mine, too. But I didn't
know where Cooper was born and reared, only that he *insists* that his
name be pronounced [kUp@]. This reminded of the fact that, in my
birthplace, Marshall, TX, if you use the pronunciation, [ku(p at r)], and
not [kU(p@)], people will literally laugh in your face.

-Wilson Gray