[Fwd: Re: What team name for the DC "Expos?"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 13 18:26:26 UTC 2004

At 12:26 PM -0500 10/13/04, Mariann Maris wrote:
>A student enrolled in a first semester freshman seminar on baseball I'm
>teaching this semester suggested "Blue Sox." See forwarded message.

Well, indirectly, since they'd only be patriotic through a union (or
intersection) with the Boston and Chicago AL franchises, a.k.a. the
[sOks] (open o) and the [saks] (low fronted to central).  And
besides, the Utica, NY franchise might sue (if it hasn't folded yet).
How about following the lead of animal-named franchises currently
named for large mammals (Tigers, Cubs), birds (Orioles, Blue Jays,
Cardinals), reptiles (Diamondbacks), and fish (Marlins) with a
representative of the *small* mammals, viz. the Potomac River Rats?

Or, if we want to stick to the hosiery theme, given all the scandals
in the White House and Capitol Hill over the years, maybe it's time
to legitimize the "Black Sox", playing their games at Watergate
Memorial Stadium.

Or--given all those formal state dinners and rubber chicken circuit
affairs that government officials are always going off to, paid for
by tax dollars or lobbyists--the Washington Penguins, with a
tux-wearing mascot?

larry