Thank you

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 13 22:57:51 UTC 2004

My thanks to Jonathan Lighter for the information on phonetic alphabets, and
to Douglas G. Wilson for the data on "Shambleau".

I have never read any of the Northwest Smith stories and the reference I used
(Clute and Nichols _The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction_ article on C. L.
Moore) unfortunately did not make it clear how many stories Shambleau appeared in.

Also my thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread on high fives
and related gestures.  I still think there is almost enough material here for
someone (but definitely not me!) to put together a scholarly article on the
gestures and the names for them.

Laurence Horn wrote "My take on this is that LBS [Little Black Sambo], the
book, is indeed set in India, but there's been a cultural reanalysis somewhere
along the way, as testified to by the use of "Sambo" as an ethnic/racial slur
directed
at African- (not Indian-) Americans (and other blacks in Africa and
elsewhere)."

I agree.  I think the "reanalysis" was very simple.  In the US so-called
"black" skin is automatically associated with those of African descent---nost
surprising considering that until the last generation or so people from South Asia
were relatively rare in the US.

A note to Alice Faber---I heard the term "MOT" (referring to Jews as "Members
of the Tribe") circa 1960, incidentally from the girl who organized the trip
to hear John Howard Griffin.

          - James A. Landau