The new Washington DC baseball team

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 14 12:32:00 UTC 2004

Wilson Gray (who, I am sure, is in favor of "Washington Grays") writes:

> Luckily, my girl friend
>  at that time was also Australian. She explained to me that, in my
>  idiolect, his name should be pronounced "Forster."

Is that how E. M. Forster got his unusual last name?

Back to the topic.  I hope not the "Washington Blue Sox".  One Duane Decker
wrote a series of eminently forgettable baseball novels about a team called the
"Blue Sox".  (I take that back.  The first book in the series, "Good Field No
Hit" was a good read.  The rest were not.)

Aren't the "Washington Generals" the team that plays patsy for the Harlem
Globetrotters?

A name that will play on the bilingual heritage of the Montreal team, and
will also be popular with DC-area residents, is the "Washington Metros", after
the region's excellent subway system, I believe the only one in the US called
"Metro".

However, do not call them the "Washington Enfants" (after Pierre L'Enfant,
who laid out the city).  Their first losing season they will become the "Enfants
Terribles".

A name that will be popular with tourists is the "Washington Monuments"

A name that might work is the "Washington Fireworks".

A name that I don't recommend is the "Washington Pentagons", although it
would offer great possibilities to graphics desginers, e.g. the team mascot could
be a fire hydrant.  The "Washington Fireplugs?"

A name that would complement the existing Redskins, as well as the Bullets,
is the "Washington Warpath".  Too political, though.  "Washington Doves?"

However, all the above is useless speculation.  The media will have it way,
and the team will become the "Washington Informed Sources".

          - James A. Landau