Who's your daddy?

Thu Oct 14 16:33:17 UTC 2004

During the radio broadcast of the game last night, Joe Morgan said that Pedro's statement should be understood with reference to the meanings of the word "daddy" in hip-hop culture.  [These are not his words, exactly.]  He didn't explain further.  Joe Morgan is a middle-aged black man, a Hall of Fame baseball player, and generally gives the air of utter seriousness, and I would not have supposed him to be much more conversant with hip hop than I am, which is, not at all.

When I heard Pedro speak of calling the Yankees his daddy, I supposed he had in mind the thought that daddies are allowed to whip their children, and if the Yankees can whip Pedro, they are standing in the role of his daddy.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.