Who's your daddy?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Oct 15 14:20:41 UTC 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 6:02 AM, Grant Barrett wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: Who's your daddy?
> --------
>
> On Oct 14, 2004, at 23:34, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>> For "daddy," HDAS has, among other defs, "the finest, largest, or
>>> most
>>> striking example," "a man who is an important influence in a field,"
>>> and "the lover and protector of a prostitute; pimp."
>>
>> A prostitute has a "lover and protector"? This is the very antithesis
>> of the reality. Anyone who believes that this could possibly be true
>> clearly has no experience whatsoever of "the (sporting) life" or "the
>> game" and really, really, really needs to get out more. Prostitution
>> is
>> not known as "white _slavery_" for no reason.
>
> I'd say "lover" ought not be taken romantically, but literally as a
> person who has sexual relations, since pimps do get free samples.
> "Protector" is also straightforward: a pimp guards his source of
> income. That's how the arrangement works. He protects her from the
> cops, other pimps, other prostitutes, and dangerous johns, and feeds
> whatever drug habit she has. In return, she gives him free samples and
> he takes a cut of what her money-maker brings in. It doesn't mean he's
> bringing her chicken soup and warm blankets.
>
> Grant Barrett

That's an _extremely_ romantic concept of prostitution. It must have
come from a book. A pimp doesn't provide any kind of protection or
anything else. What he does is to take all the money made by his whores
and that's that. A pimp occasionally may have sex with his bottom
woman, who's his second in command, but not with any other member of
his stable. Pimps aren't in the game to have sex with whores. That's
for squares. Pimps don't hang out where whores work their stroll out,
so there's no way for them to protect a whore from the police or from
anyone else. If a whore gets busted, she goes to jail and serves out
her sentence. If a trick busts a whore up, she'll be out on the stroll
on crutches the next night, if that's what it takes to get her pimp his
money. Whores don't use any drug except alcohol and not much of that,
unless they can find a friendly trick to cop for them. Paying for a
drug habit other than their own is not what pimps do. They don't waste
their money on their whores. They slide by the stroll to get their
money, should they run out, though that's unlikely. That is, it's
unlikely that a pimp will run out of money. But, in general, pimps
appear on the set, if at all, only to lord it over the "squares" and
the lesser pimps or, when the evening is over, to get their money. Most
often, though, pimps will wait until the next day to roll by his
whores' cribs to pick up his money. Pimping is all about the benjamins.
Pimps don't take a cut. They take _all_ of  the money, down to the last
red copper cent. Whores have to support themselves on their own time,
usually by "receiving gentleman callers" during the day.

Of course, I'm familiar only with the African-American scene. Things
may be different WRT the European-American version of the life.

-Wilson Been-there-Done-That Gray