-x Intensifier Info?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 17 04:11:51 UTC 2004

>Has anyone done (or seen) any work on -x as an intensifier in casual
>online written texts? The usual form is something like "hahax" or
>"lolx" meaning "haha multiple times," or, "lots of laughing out loud."
>It's common among Singlish- or English-using Singapore Internet users
>(who also use "liaox"). More exes equal more intensity, but there is
>not usually a value of 1 attached to each x--it seems to just mean more
>or lots. "Hahaxx," "hahaxxx," and so forth are possible.

I suppose the "liaox" (= "liao") is the Chinese past-tense marker (standard
Chinese terminal "le")? Maybe used a little loosely in Singlish?

Looking at a few of these Singaporean blogs, I see what appear to be other
x-augmented particles (or whatever they're called), such as "lahx" and
"wahx". Also "diaox": I speculate that this "diao" is for practical
purposes roughly equivalent to the F-word. Any knowledgeable person, please
correct me if necessary.

-- Doug Wilson