Lafcadio Hearn and Jazz?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 18 00:18:01 UTC 2004

At 7:53 PM -0400 10/17/04, Sam Clements wrote:
> [...]
>but later stories which might hold clues to the origins of the
>musical term.
>
>10 November, 1917.  An article from the Oshkosh(WI) _Daily Northwestern_
>
>>>Not long since The Northwestern printed a little poem, entitled
>>>"Jazz," and frequently the question arose, "What is Jazz?"
>>>Adelaide King, editor and publisher of The Waupun Democrat, who
>>>was among the questioners, finally decided to answer the question
>>>herself and her research makes her an authority on the Jazz
>>>question.  She says:  "Having got in line with Jazz orchestras and
>>>Jazzy looking bills, Waupun is up to date on that point.  The word
>>>is of African origin and is variously spelled Jas, Jass, Jaz,
>>>Jazz, Jasz and Jasez.  It is common on the gold coast of Africa
>>>and in the hinterland of Cape Codcastle.  In his studies of the
>>>Creole patois and idiom in New Orleans, Lafcadio Hearn reported
>>>that the word 'Jaz,' meaning to speed things up, to make
>>>excitement, was common among the blacks of the south, and had been
>>>adopted by the Creoles as a term to be applied to music of a
>>>rudumentary syncopated type.  In the old plantation days when the
>>>slaves were having one of their holidays and the fun languished,
>>>some west coast African would cry out, 'Jas her up,' and this
>>>would be the cue for fun, fast and furious.  No doubt the witch
>>>doctors and medicine men on the Congo used the same term and those
>>>jungle 'parties,' when the tom-toms throbbed and the sturdy
>>>warriors gave their pep, and added kick, with rich brews of
>>>Gohimbin? bark--that precious concoction fo the Cameroons.
>>>Curiously enough the phrase, 'Jas her up' is a common one today in
>>>vaudeville and on the circus lot.  When a vaudeville act needs
>>>ginger the cry from advisers in the wings is, 'put in jaz,'
>>>meaning, add low comedy, go to high speed and accelerate the
>>>comedy spark.  'Jasbo,' is a form of the word common in the
>>>varieties, meaning the same as 'hokum,' or low comedy, verging on
>>>vulgarity.  Jazz music is the delirium tremens of syncopation.  It
>>>is strict rythm, without melody.  Today the jazz bands take
>>>popular tunes and rag them to death to make jazz, beats being
>>>added as often as the delicacy of the player's ear will permit.
>>>In one-two time, a third beat is interpolated.  There are many
>>>half notes, or less and many long drawn, wavering tones.  It is an
>>>attempt to reproduce the marvelous syncopation of the African
>>>jungle.  For years jazz has ruled in the under world resorts of
>>>New Orleans.  There, in those wonderful refuges of basic folk lore
>>>and primeval passion, wild men and wild women have danced to jazz
>>>for generations.  Ragtime and the new dances came from there, and
>>>long after, jazz crept slowly up the Mississippi frolm resort to
>>>resort until it landed all over the United States."  <<
>
>My question is--where can one find in the writings of Lafcadio Hearn
>the term 'jaz'?   The author of this piece probably didn't make it

I'd guess, based on the above, that it's included in vol. 2 of the
below, although obviously this version would have appeared after the
Oshkosh paper cited above.  Another place the Hearn observation
appears is at
http://www.americanheritage.com/xml/2004/5/2004_5_dept_histnow.xml

Larry
==========
from a website cataloguing Hearn's writings:

1924    An American Miscellany. articles and stories now first
collected by Albert Mordell. 23 cm, 1st edition, 2 vols. [BAL 7984,
Perkins]. New York. Dodd, Mead. (Verso of t.p.: Vail-Ballou Press,
Inc., Binghamton and New York.) v. 1: The cedar closet -- Giglampz --
Violent cremation -- Valentine vagaries -- The restless dead -- Some
strange experience -- A bird store reverie -- Notes on the
utilization of human remains -- The demi-monde of the antique world
-- The poisoners -- Levee life -- Dolly-an idyll of the levee --
Banjo Jim's story -- Butterfly fantasies -- Frost fancies -- Steeple
climbers -- A romantic incident at the musical club -- Some pictures
of poverty.
v. 2 : Face studies -- Progressive living -- Frankness -- Frauds -- A
Mephistophelian -- Something about success -- Nightmare and nightmare
legends -- Philosophy of imaginative art -- Subhadra -- The dead wife
-- St. Brandan's Christmas -- Bidasari -- Torn letters -- Three
dreams -- A lily in the mouth of hell -- The piper of Hamelin --
Saint Malo -- The garden of paradise -- Gustave Doré -- Doré's Raven
-- The life of stars -- The destiny of solar systems -- The great "I
am" -- A Concord compromise -- The Creole patois -- Some notes on
Creole literature -- The scientific value of Creole -- A sketch of
the Creole patois -- The scenes of Cable's romances -- The last of
the New Orleans fencing masters -- The last of the voudoos -- New
Orleans superstitions -- A study of half-breed race in the West
Indies -- West Indian society of many colorings -- A winter journey
to Japan.