'sup?

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Oct 19 15:12:49 UTC 2004

The reduction of 'What's up' regularly occurs as /tsup/ (adding
another item to the 'tsetse fly' list of onset /ts/ forms in
English). The next stage of reduction compensatorily lengthens /s/
(/ssup/), but the last stage, as one would suspect from the
phonotactics of English, does away with this lengthening and yields
simply /sup/.

dInIs

PS: The most dramatic form of this compensatory onset lengthening
occurs in local pronunciations  of "Indianapolis" as /nnnaepl^s/, a
good three-mora /n/!