new query: Xmas

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 20 02:48:23 UTC 2004

This one--which some of you may have also received--comes from one of
those info web sites ("Strange but True").  The first part of the
account (the Greek origin) is presumably true, as confirmed by the
OED, AHD, et al., but I couldn't confirm (or disconfirm) the latter
part about the limitation of printing font sizes.  ("Xmas" is not on
Michael Quinion's World Wide Words archive, for example.)   Anyone
know for sure?

Larry

P.S.  The "identical" part is obviously a bit overblown, unless it
really refers to just the shape of the letter.

      Q.  From what source did the seemingly irreverent
abbreviation "Xmas" derive, as a substitute for Christmas?
      A.  It's not irreligious at all, says one online
commentator.  The first letter of "Christ" in Greek is chi,
identical to our "X."  Xmas was originally an abbreviation
in ecclesiastical tables and charts, when printing font
sizes were limited and type was set by hand.  So "Xmas came
into general use from the church!"