Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Oct 20 17:45:09 UTC 2004

Nancy Niedzielski and I have a nice of example of this in Folk
Linguistics (now in paper from Mouton de Gruyter, so you have no
reason not to own it) in which a native speaker of English labors
with the distinction between 'gift' and 'present' in trying to
explain the meanings to a nonnative speaker. He comes up with the
very interesting suggestion that "technically" (linguistically,
lexicographically?) there is no difference between the two, but there
is, he says, "in the way we use it."

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston