Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Oct 20 20:19:25 UTC 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Patti J. Kurtz wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Patti J. Kurtz" <kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)
> --------
>
> My students in Ohio did a field project and found "davenport," at least
> in their sample (which admittedly was small), to be very age

Aaarrrggghhh!!!

>  graded (sorry,
> Wilson!)  That is, mainly people over about 50

Aaarrrggghhh!!!

>  used it at all.  I
> suspect the same is true here, though I don't think my students have
> done that project here yet.
>
> And I also believe it was a brand name first.
>
> FWIW my grandmother used it all the time-- she was in her 60's at the
> time, in the 1960's in western PA
>
> But for me, it's a couch (with the appropriate Pittsburgh twang of
> course : )
>
> Patti Kurtz

Despite my screams of anguish, thank you for your post. I'm glad to
know that "davenport" really was widespread at one time and that my
memory of it wasn't a case of the PIST phenomenon.

-Wilson