Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Oct 20 20:24:45 UTC 2004

I associate davenport with a Peanuts cartoon from the 50s. Lucy
claims to have shot someone behind the davenport "and if that's not
fatal I don't know what is!" It is a term that I know and I know the
referent for, but it seems alien to me: childhood Cleveland 1960s.

Barbara